Mapping table : In order to migrate the list of users who have subscribed to the Google group, a mapping table of users must be defined.
The list of mail users to migrate is used as a mapping table as it defines the source and email address of every user.
You can add a user to the mail migration list without assigning a migration license. In this case, the entry will only be used as a mapping entry.
Google: An account to use for migration must be created, and you must setup the default language to English. The platform needs the credentials (username and password).
Each Google group owner must manually give this migration account permissions to manage the group (ie, the Manager role). Cloudiway can then use this account to access all groups.
Google Sites: your sites should be activated as the platform needs them to authenticate on the Google side. Please check this article, how to do this.
Office365 : The account you wish to use for migration must be a global administrator (in order to be allowed to create security groups and to manage their membership). It doesn’t have to be the primary admin account. Besides, admin account should have a valid Exchange license to be able to connect to group’s Inbox (imposed by Microsoft).
Cloudiway migrates a Google group to an Office 365 Group or to a shared mailbox.
How it works
The migration process takes the following order:
- Cloudiway retrieves groups that the migration account has access to.
- Cloudiway migrates to Office 365 Groups by default. You can manually change this per group or by batch if you wish to migrate to a shared mailbox.
- Cloudiway creates the target object (Office 365 group or shared mailbox).
- Cloudiway creates the target group and adds the members to it.
- When migrating to a shared mailbox, Cloudiway creates the shared mailbox. It also creates a distribution list and adds the members to it. The distribution list is added in the permissions as Full Access in the shared mailbox. You can also use the existing distribution list (email-enabled security group), mentioning its email in the Target name of the group).
What is migrated
- Conversation content
- Metadata (Author, date of creation)
- Group Memberships
- Membership roles
- Google Groups API not used: the migration account must be manually granted permissions to each source Google group.
- Google Drive embedded drives and folders in posts are not migrated.
- Manager field of group is not migrated (no equivalent in Office 365).
- Tags/categories are not migrated (no equivalent in Office 365).
- Welcome page is not migrated (no equivalent in Office 365).
- There is no difference between Announcements and Discussions in Office 365, so all threads are migrated as simple conversations in the Inbox folder.
- Pinned topics cannot be pinned in Office 365 (the functionality doesn’t exist).
- Ratings and resolution status are not migrated (no equivalent in Office 365).
Delta pass information
Delta passes can be used with group migration to ensure all batch migrations are completed.
The Cloudiway platform uses the URL of the source group as the unique ID during migration. This ensures a group is only migrated once.
However, this also means that a new reply on a group that has already been migrated will never be migrated.